Sunday, September 16, 2012

Restoring Not-So-Vintage

This weekend's project was actually a carry over from last weekend. As some of you know, I recently became the recipient of several family heirlooms, some in mint condition, others that needed a bit of TLC. One of the items was a mirror and wall shelf set. Initially I thought the set was a legitimate antique, only later to find out it was a reproduction. Either way, I liked the detail of the piece and the overall appeal to the vintage look.
 
After disassembling the mirror from the frame I sanded some cracked areas and used an enamel primer. Then painted it with a high gloss black "Midnight Noir." Unfortunately, this weekend also happened to be a major heatwave in SoCal. I left the frame outside to dry and the heat literally warped the frames top end about 45 degrees. I was heartbroken, thinking I ruined a sentimental piece of family history. Luckily, a fellow DIY-er suggested a fix which worked fabulously. The final product now resides at the entry to my bedroom and gives me great joy each time I look at it.
 
PS... for those of you who love the look of vintage but have no time or desire to restore, there is a mirror very similar to this sold at Ikea for around $25. It is smaller and the frame is plastic, but the general idea gets across.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment