Sunday, September 9, 2012

Family Heirloom

Another newly completed project was an old wicker laundry basket I came into owning after the a passing of my Aunt Jayne. Truthfully... it was in relatively decent shape when first brought home, however, after two cross country moves, a puppy with a chewing fetish, and a lot of use, it lost its original charm. I did a lot of web investigation on proper repair of the original cane and learned about techniques of primer and painting. I also wanted to give this a vintage French charm, thus entailing breaking out the old sewing machine, buying burlap, lace, and finding a simple embellishment that kept the antique decor in tact.  

As you can see, the cane was broken and quite weathered

I used a burlap fabric purchased at Joanne's (my new favorite)
A small heart shaped, gold tone embellishment purchased at Michael's
And some antique-looking lace saved from a thrift store find months ago
 
First I had to repair the broken areas by securing them with a spray adhesive
Then it was colored with Krylon spray paint in "Heirloom White"
The final outcome! I love the simplicity and overall shabby chic moteif.

No comments:

Post a Comment