Friday, July 3, 2009

A Day in the Life


There is not much that beats out a beautiful day, as today has racked up to be, so far. Not only did I have time to free myself from any obligations, (a huge rarity) but I was compenstated for it. God bless national holidays. I'm as patriotic as the next guy, I have the stars and stripes proudly flapping in the breeze on my porch. I support American made products and vote every year. But I am also very grateful to the soldiers for all they have done for generations, much more than bestowing paid holidays to us working folk.

With that being said, today has been infallible. I woke up without the ever-annoying ring of the dreaded alarm clock, rather on my own. Fabulous. After the caffeine was perculating, the dog did his morning constitutional and the paper was retrieved from the driveway (well, the bushes, but why split hairs?) I mixed my sugar/creme concoction and headed back to bed. How lovely it was to read the paper, listen to talk radio and enjoy my taster's choice.

Well, something productive was still required, otherwise I will feel like a complete louse. The bike was loaded, water bottle filled. I headed for the lake and did an hour ride taking in the scenary. The chirping and breeze was music to my ears.

Switching gears, no stone is left unturned in the quest for eternal wisdom. As the ride made me quite parched, I popped into Starbucks for some Iced Tea and somehow found my way into a random, but thought-provoking conversation with a complete stranger. Although I will never see this person again, one thing they said will stay close to me. "Family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's lives."

Now, my disclaimer is, I don't know if these were her words or simply repeated from another source, but either way it hit home better than Tony Gwynn. My interpretation is it does not matter if those reciprocating your love and kindness share your DNA, rather it is the love itself that bonds.

Tomorrow morning I will be headed back to Los Angeles with the bff and our daughters in tow, call it a girls weekend. Back to the domicile were spades, domino's and hearty laughs are indiginous. Family is anyone who comes with true well wishes and a hug for anyone who needs it. I will see my mustachioed best bud EJ and the entire crew of Griffins, Crawfords, Johnsons and pseudo relatives, such as myself.

So for now, I continue bedroom straightening, a few exercises, throw some gear back in the Louis bag and continue couch spudding. Happy Independance Day! (P.S the pic is one of my shots...)


No comments:

Post a Comment