Monday, October 1, 2012

Amazing Autumn



Although Fall technically began on September 22 this year, for this gal, October 1 marks the true commencement of Autumn. October is my favorite month by far. San Diego is free and clear from the mania of summer tourism and the holiday madness has yet to begin.  Weather is perfect… balmy in the morning, warm and sunny all day and chilly enough for a light blanket to cozy up in at bedtime.
My favorite things about this time of year are all contingent on mild temperatures. For the fashionista in me, I can wear my cute boots and scarves without looking ridiculous (one of my pet peeves are youngsters sporting furry Ugg boots in summer and complaining about how hot it is. Afterthought: darned if I didn’t just write that and realize I am turning into my mother.)
The temperatures are no longer in the skin melting category, thus allowing me to wear my hair down instead of in the everyday ponytail AND when I curl it, the curls actually stay put instead of frizzing out into a humid disaster.  
I can use my oven again without bringing my home into a fiery fury. Baking sweet treats for the special people in my life and preparing actual meals that require more than a high voltage microwave are two things I give up between June and September.  Soon the smell of meatloaf, green bean casserole and cupcakes will fill the nostrils and cause some mouths a'waterin'.
Above all else the best thing about Autumn….
Can you guess???  
FOOTBALL!!!
So to the sun worshippers and snow bunnies, I guess this is not the best time of year for you. But to those of us who follow team schedules, stats, and plan our Sunday’s around game time, our time has come. So sit back, enjoy some homemade chili and cornbread, hot wings 'n breadsticks, or order some pizza….  Put the beer on ice and kick back… I’ll save you a seat…. And a plate of something delish.


No comments:

Post a Comment