Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Mother's Love


As many people are in this economy, I am going through critically tough pecuniary times. Creative financing has never been so prevalent in my checkbook register. This week in particular was terribly frustrating. Every single one of my utility accounts are past due and on major payment extension status. I have two very important meetings tomorrow that may be the solution to my personal economic crisis, yet I had no gas to get there. Our fridge was void of anything other than condiments, a few eggs, and a box baking soda. I prayed and prayed hard for God to help me find the right answer and to give me the strength I need to stay strong. As if on cue, my mother phoned at that exact minute and invited me to lunch. I didn't even know if I had gas to get a mile down the street, but I did not want to tell her that fact and cause her worry. I felt guilty because here she was, treating me to lunch, and I had to ask her for a few bucks to cover my gas.

We ordered our meal selections and before I could say anything, she handed over an envelope stating she had been saving it for tough times and she had a feeling NOW was as tough as it could get. I opened the paper and found two gift cards, one for gas and the other for groceries. How did she know? Mother's intuition? I started to cry right there in Denny's, feeling relieved, but at the cost of wounded pride. She questioned my tears and I could barely squawk out my answer that I felt so disheartened being in my position.

My mother looked at me and asked me if I had been praying for help. I responded that, yes, of course I had. What she said next was a wake up call. She said "Well, your prayer was just answered. So instead of feeling bad and having wounded pride, thank Him for answering your prayer. Don't pray for something and then be to ashamed to accept what you need." She was completely correct, of course. Tears tehn welled up in her eyes as she told me when I was a kid it was her sister Gloria who was always there in times od crisis. (Gloria passed away about five years ago and we all miss her dearly.) She then said over the years she'd managed to put a few bucks in savings for a rainy day and if SHE has it, WE have it. I was very touched. Her generosity, much like my Aunt Gloria's, never ceases.

The lesson to be reminded of here is to always have faith. Something will happen and things eventually work out as He sees fit. Also, when your prayers are answered, don't be to prideful to accept the blessings. A lesson that bears reminding. This was a very humbling experience today. I felt the need to share my enlightenment with others as it serves as a good lesson for everyone. And by the way, Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment