Friday, October 12, 2012

Magical Manitou

 




I wish I could morph myself 20 months (or so) into the future. The second half of my life is destined to be played out in a variety of new landscapes and adventures. In a perfect world, I would be all settled in to my girlie little apartment, surrounded by most precious comforts. Family heirlooms such as my grandmothers crochet lap blanket and china dinnerware, photos of my children and family, and, of course, my doggie. 8-)

For those of you who are new to my blog, let me tell you about my beloved Manitou. I have been there three times and fell in love with this tiny little free spirited town the very minute I stepped out of the car. This quaint town is located in the foothills of Colorado Springs and is frequented by hiking fanatics and those whom greatly appreciate a pint. The infamous "Incline" is known to break down the strongest of climbers. Additionally, the mineral water fountains throughout town have their own mythological history. These fountains are pumped from local springs and naturally contain so much iron and phosphate that local legend consideres it magical "healing water."

If I was there on this night, I would take a brisk walk passing historical buildings now serving as antique stores, pubs, diners, and art galleries. I will sidle up on bar stool, putting something warm and comforting under my coaster. Striking up conversation with the locals, most of which are beatnik hippies who take pride in their nonconformist lifestyle, I hope to make a friend in this new metropolis. I will have a few libations and wrap back up in my warm coat and head back out into the chilly night. Tonight, the temperature is a cool 42 degrees, no rain or snow expected. Perhaps tomorrow I will venture out and take a train ride or meet my bestie for coffee.


Manitou Springs, Colorado.
"A little drinking town with a hiking problem"
(actual town motto!)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment