Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sayonara Suckers.....


I have become increasingly more convinced that my plan of fleeing California is just what the doctor ordered. By the onset of 2013, my monthly countdown will officially be in the 'teens. Although it will still be 17 months until I receive my parenting pardon, somehow that put a definite feeling of nearness to my plans. By this time next year I will have begun solidifying the main timeline, putting my plan into action and beginning to calculate out expenses and starting to fill that piggy bank to cover relocation expenses. The last thing I want to do is fail to properly plan and set myself up for failure. While doing some online research this evening, I stumbled upon a thought provoking article by Cathy Goodwin. I only would add to #5 if you are not a novel-writing type of person, try keeping a journal instead (or a blog tehehe) The following is an excerpt:

Here are ten tips to a help you tune in to your inner compass when your world is spinning.
1. Ask, "Who am I? What do I need to be happy?"
The secret to a successful move depends on how you answer the question, "Can I still be me?  To answer this question, write ten "I am" statements about yourself -- anything from "I am a dog-owner" to "I am friendly and outgoing." Before you move, ask yourself, "How will this list change after I move?" You may still be a dog-owner...but will you create that role the same way?
2. Take a test drive.
When you buy a car, you don't just go around the block. You try the freeways and the rough roads. Considering a move to Seattle or Syracuse? Study the culture as if you were an anthropologist.
3. Pack an emotional first aid kit.
Most hikers pack a first aid kit with sunblock, band-aids, and insect repellent. For relocation you can pack favorite photos of friends, family, places and pets (so you remember who you are) Phone numbers of trusted confidantes (for moments when you really need to hear a familiar voice)
4. Develop ceremonies to honor your new life.
As you unpack boxes or begin a new assignment, play your favorite music and enjoy your favorite foods. Arrange one room -or one corner of the room-to look familiar. Some people create a special ritual of settling in to make the new life their own.
5. Plan for downtime.
For the first few months you'll probably have gaps in your social calendar.  Plan to fill downtime with meaningful projects. Write a novel. Complete a painting. Join a dance group. I would add a physical activity, anything from weight-lifting to walking the dog extra times. When you nurture yourself, you communicate strength and confidence to others. If you are seen as vulnerable and needy, you will attract negative people and negative experiences.

BONUS: Celebrate everyday life.
Think small. A walk around a lake. A perfect cup of coffee in a nearby coffee shop.  Listen for the moments when you say, "I could get used to this..."

No comments:

Post a Comment