Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Excedrin Headache #101


I've had a rough 24 hours people. Work has been increasingly stressful closing out end-of-quarter reports and assembling books for the new year. Permits are expiring, generator maintenance has to be conducted and then we found out the sump pump was broken. If you don't know what that means, it's OK... up until 3 months ago, neither did I. But I will tell you this.... if you find out you need a sump pump on a rainy day, you will not be a happy camper. (Especially if you park underground.)

During all this chaos and learning, I've had one guy on my crew who basically cheats the system and does shotty work, when he works at all.  Finally the jig was up for this lazy-bone-jones. He had to meet with human resources and his only source of defense was to accuse me of being prejudice toward the Latino race and stated I treated him unfairly. He accepted no responsibility (even when the documentation was physically laid out in front of him) and only stated that I expected too much from him. He left his keys and badge on the table and walked out, after 12 years of service. I assure you, I hold no racial prejudice against anyone and am one of the most open minded people you will meet.

Although my boss, the human resource director, and even the hospital's CEO recognized the absurdity in this accusation, I feel unsettled at work now. This guy did not show up today, nor did he phone our boss, yet he contacted another coworker and stated he would return tomorrow. It will take every ounce of strength I have to maintain a decorum of professionalism. Suffice it to say, I will be saying an extra prayer tonight for God to bestow on me the fortitude to rise above these turbulent times and recognize the lesson He wants me to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment