Monday, May 27, 2013

Grandma's Gatsby

 
 
Today I had the pleasure of a movie and lunch with my mother, daughter and step-father. The costuming was amazing and the reflection of the time period was spot-on. The only thing it left me wanting was to read the actual novel, as, sadly, I never have. After lunch we dined at good old Denny's sharing burgers and iced coffees (their new iced coffee beverages are delicious!) and conversation.
 
The last six months have been extremely stressful on my mother. After losing two brothers to illness within three weeks of one another; and handling not one, but both of their estate affairs, she has become very depressed. Adding insult to injury, she has developed very bad bones which leave her in excruciating pain; relying on a cane or walker to get around. She needs assistance getting in and out of chairs, cars, and even stairs. I know she feels as though she is a burden to us all although she would never admit it. This is my mother. The very woman who gave me life, nurtured me as a child, was patient during my rebellious years, and supportive of me raising two children as a single parent.
 
I surely hope she enjoyed our outing today despite the need of assistance. These are the times I cherish. It is the small little things we do as a family that I hold near and dear to my heart. Exchanging the latest news over meals, girl talk with coffee, and reminiscing of childhood stories are things I remember with the sincerest of affection. If I can tell my "mommy" anything, it would be that we love her with all our hearts and will always be here, good times and bad. And most importantly dear mother, you will never be a burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment