Sunday, May 13, 2012

Part II





The next special person in my life, who also happens to be one of the best mothers I know, is my very best friend, Angela. We first met 12 years ago during a brief attempt I took at operating a daycare out of my home. I figured it was a way to make a living while still being at home when my kids were young. Eventually the daycare fizzled out, but Ang and I remained close and very rapidly became best friends. She is the kind of person who is more than an acquaintance, she is more like the sister I never had. She is smart, beautiful, kind, honest, ambitious, and most of all, genuine. What you see is what you get. No fakery, no false pretences, no faux persona. She has been through struggles as we all have and has not only climbed the mountains of hardship, but overcome them, with grace, persistence and class.  And as a huge bonus... my own DNA relations consider her family....My own Mother considers her a daughter, as her mother does to me.. : }

She put herself through college while working a full time job and raising a daughter as a single parent. I will never forget the day she graduated and walked the aisle in her cap and gown. I was so proud to call her my “sister.” That very day I was so inspired by her achievement that I began seeking higher education for myself as well. I had long since put off any dreams of college when I had children but after walking along her path step by step, I started thinking hey, maybe I can do it, too. Soon after I enrolled and found myself returning to the virtual classroom; 24 months later, my own graduation.

Although my dear sis has moved a few states away to be closer to family, we stay in close contact and see each other at least once a year during our annual pilgrimage to sin city. I cannot imagine my life without her. Through marriage, divorce, births, deaths, child rearing, bad relationships, stressful jobs, good health and bad, we have made it together. She has been my rock, my confidante, my ally, my companion, my club hopping buddy, my mentor, my inspiration, and the one girlfriend I can trust to tell anything and know it will stay between us.

So on this Mother’s Day celebration, I wish Ms. GPT a wonderfully blessed day. I miss you and love you very dearly. I don't have a fairy God mother, I have a fairy Best-Sister-Friend.

Fondest memories:
Vegas trips, cross-country drives (18 wheeler explosions in Grand Junction), Super-bowl weekend, Hollywood (both the club and the city), Camels Breath, Backyard BBQs (don’t EVER pour beer on her chicken), Fully clothed pool jumps, ‘ol school concerts, South Mission Beach, Olive Wood Apts, Halloween parties, “The dress”, wedding preparations, Padre game tailgates, balloon chasing, holiday dinners, kickball, Marine Street beach, 94th Aero Squadron, Fireworks, house painting, graduation parties, Crown Point bonfires, NYE Denver 2010 complete wiith -14 degree temps, hiking at Red Rock and Garden of the Gods…

Most memorable phrases:
“Charge him, girl!”
“It’s soooooo cute”
“N*%!a out”
“Am I good??? Am I good???”
“It’s not what people say, it’s what they do”
“Hellooooooo Ladies…”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment