Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chips n Dip



I find it amazing that in the state of recession American's are in, there are still people who have the blessing of a job and take such a perfunctory pride in their workmanship. Out of a crew of 15 people I assist my boss in overseeing, there are only two in total that have a great work ethic and are dependable to get the job done. The rest come to work every day disparaging the authority of their managers and do the barest minimum , enough to convince themselves they are flying under the radar.

There is one in particular, a guy in his mid 20's, a Brooklyn transplant with a chip on his shoulder the size of his home town and the personality of a toxic sponge. His appreciation of a steady paycheck is so truncated it is invisible to the naked eye. One example: he was asked to remove some debris from the parking lot. Instead of properly disposing into a dumpster, he simply threw it on the roof of the building. Deficient intelligence or just a don't-give-two-shits-attitude? Or both? I guess he forgot our building is on a slope and the next level up is lined with offices, one of which is the hospital CEO, who witnessed random articles being tossed at her window. Funny, no?

The flip side to this phenominon, my new boss and I are a great team. He trusts my judgment and instinct. Thus far, he has interviewed two people I have encouraged to apply and both are in the hiring process. Both are grateful for a chance at gainful employment with good pay and health benefits. So, to those who find themselves hating their jobs, I have one thing to say... if you don't want to do your job, there are plenty of people who will take it off your hands, do it better, and come to work with a smile instead of a bag of chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment