Friday, July 15, 2011

Daddy's Little Girls




I have a friend who was a rather rebellious teenager and fell into a tough street lifestyle into her early adulthood. She left home at 17 and lived all over the country. For years she had a tumultuous relationship with her parents, going long stretches of time without seeing them. She became pregnant with her own child and delivered a beautiful baby girl. This was a turning point for her. She got off drugs, found a legitimate job, and got off the streets. She created a small but beautiful home for her and her daughter. Eventually she went to college and got a degree in a field that she felt truly passionate about, all while maintaining the same job for 12 years.


Recently my friend decided to move back to her home state, a great move for her, but sad for me. She has mended the relationship with her folks and has become an integral part of their daily lives. Her teenage daughter is now surrounded by a positive family unit and succeeding in school in a much more positive direction.

Today my friend told me she has a fishing trip planned for the weekend with her father, the first time they have ever gone on such an outing in her entire life. Given my recent paternal issues, hearing of their strides, I felt hopeful that perhaps someday I will be able to find peace with my own father. We have a lot of unspoken hurts between us that have been swept under the rug for over 30 years. So, thank you G.P.T. for not only being my best friend, sister-in-heart, and confidante, but for showing me through your experiences, that nothing is insurmountable. You are my inspiration for family unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment